Monday, February 3, 2014

Wins and losses


You know what I'm going to talk about first. That's right, my Hawks. My dad has had season tickets since the beginning, 1976. I've been going to games since he deemed me old enough, probably since I was about 10 or eleven. I've never been a fair weather fan. I've always been die hard.

When they opened the new field, I bought my own season tickets. Kept them 3 years, I was there when they won the 2005 NFC championship game against the Panthers, but a single income household just couldn't keep up with the rising ticket prices.

It was so exciting to see the Hawks get back to the big game again. I had the Super Bowl score pegged at somewhere around 26-24. Never in my wild imagination did I think the Peyton Manning and the Broncos offense were going to fall apart like that. Never.

The Legion of Boom brought it. A sack, fumble recoveries, interceptions, one of those for a touchdown. There was Percy Harvin's kickoff run for a touch down, and the offense was on fire, especially Kearse and Baldwin. Ouch.

We were sitting around contemplating who they would choose for MVP and really were baffled. That's the thing about the Seahawks. They truly are a team and last night they all did their part to win. I thought maybe Avril, Kearse...but Smith with his interception for a touchdown and fumble recovery was very deserving.


I loved how when they interviewed the players after the game they all thanked the 12th man for being part of the reason they were there. Other fans may hate us, but we are loyal and passionate about our team.

I think this may be the beginning of a dynasty. It's a very young team with a lot of heart and talent. There are only a couple of free agents this year, the rest stay. I hope to see them get back to the show in the next few years.

Go Hawks!!

Photo by Justin Hoch.  Click here for license
Of course a dark cloud cast a shadow over the day. That was the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman. I remember him way back when from Scent of a Woman in 1992. He has done so many great films since then. He was so diverse an actor, he could play anything, intense, funny, creepy, manipulative, a total douchebag...Truly, I think he was one of the greatest actors of our time.


How sad that his stellar career wasn't enough for him to be happy in life and made him turn to heroin to escape whatever demons he faced. I've heard heroin is one of the hardest drugs to kick. It sounded like he'd been clean for a couple decades before going back to the drug.

How terribbly depressed do you have to be to leave behind that kind of career and three children? 

It was a great day in Seattle, but a Sad day in the movie world yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews