Friday, February 26, 2010

ABNA part 5: Bittersweet


So yesterday they made the first cut, from 10,000 to 2,000. (not sure there was actually 10,000. I know there was 5,000 in general lit. but not sure how many YA entries they actually received) I'm happy to say I made the cut.

That being said, it's hard to feel good about it. It's heartbreaking to see so many of my friends omitted from the list. I cried. I'm getting choked up right now thinking about it. And here's the deal, these cuts get us to the next round, but they don't mean much as far as writing goes. The next cut they will actually be judging us on our writing abilities, and that will be a difficult cut to take.

They've judged us on a one page pitch. Writing a pitch is not easy, in fact, it's downright difficult. And on the ABNA forum there was a whole thread devoted to people helping each other with their pitches.

So, here's the bad part. Some people got help with their pitch that helped them through to the next round. Some of these people may not be very good writers, but their pitch is awesome because of this said help. Hell, I had friends help me. I think my writing stands up for itself (this is my inner narcissist talking), but I'm sure some people's don't. I'm not saying that to be mean or bitchy, but out of 10,000 people, not all of them are going to be awesome writers.

AND, some people may be really shitty at writing a pitch, but are incredible writers. I know this for fact. I know these people, I've read their work and they're brilliant. Which means, hopefully, they won't need this contest and will make it on their own.

That's all. I've said my piece. Happy Friday everyone.

Kisses

:*

Megan

7 comments:

  1. Megan, I offer very sincere congratulations to you! And I think you are offering me a lesson for next year--take the pitch help. I didn't take advantage because I'd just been through a few rounds with advice from others and thought I'd nailed, it, (heck, it was an IMPROVED pitch from one that had gotten me a few agent reads) but I didn't.

    Now it's possible I just got a reviewer who didn't like my story idea (the pitch features a female teen for a general fiction story--so a male, or someone who thought I'd classified wrong might have said no) but I'm willing to bet the help from experienced pitchers would have helped.

    So ENJOY that you get to go on, and don't worry about those of us who don't (I've got a new gig lines up anyway *wink*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hart. I appreciate it. And it's so true, there are a lot of factors. I was worried my story would be too dark. And it may well be for the next set of eyes. Time will tell. l Good luck with your new gig. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beautiful, you are brilliant and you are right.
    Well said.
    I was late getting to the party this year but I'm okay with that. But I do feel for those didn't make it but it's not the end of the world.
    So I am looking forward and querying agents. This could be the year.
    Best of luck, as always.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you too Michael. In truth, we're all still in the same boat. There will only be six finalists and two winners. The odds aren't good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A congratulations coming from a stranger.

    My buddy Mike, a long time writer, told me about the contest and I decided to enter (someone who writes, but doesn't feel worthy of the title 'writer'). Well, yesterday the results come in. I make the cut, he doesn't. It was supposed to be a happy moment, but it was dampened. Mike helped me with my pitch.

    ughk.

    Congratulations, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Andy. I know exactly how you feel. It's happy, yet heartbreaking. Good luck in the next round.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews