Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2fer Tuesday: Soul Baring Solstice

My friend Hart over at the Watery Tart has decided to bare her soul in the name of the solstice.  I'm following her lead by doing the same.  She did twelve, I'm not sure how many I can come up with, these are off the cuff and in no particular order.

1. I have a thing for young actors.  Don't get me wrong, they're not under-aged (meaning I'm not a perv), just way younger than me.  Through the years I've had major crushes on Heath Ledger, Toby McGuire, Edward Norton, Elijah Wood, and more recently, Shia Labeouf, and *fans self* Zac Efron.

2. I love to sing and I'm kinda good.  I was in show choir in junior high.  I was in vocal ensemble and the musical Li'l Abner in high school.  I've been onstage in various bars in the greater Tacoma area singing with a guitar player friend, I love karaoke.  I blast music in my car and sing along, everything from the Far East Movement to Nirvana to Michael Buble.

3. I'm a musical geek.  I have love just about every musical I've ever seen.  Grease, Evita, Moulin Rouge,  Jesus Christ Superstar, etc, etc, but my ultimate favorite is Hair. (I've never seen an episode of Glee)

4. When I was in 7th grade I wanted to start a band called Emotional Disturbances.  It never happened.

5. I used to get car sick.  Just about every family trip ended up with me throwing up in the back seat.  I always take the front seat now.

6. I play fantasy football.  The first year the league decided to let a girl in (me) I won the  whole thing.  I'm in the play offs almost every year.  I'm sure they now regret their decision.

7. I've been writing since I was in kindergarten, poems, songs, short stories.  Finally wrote my first novel at age 33.

8. When I started writing novels, I thought I'd be the next JK Rowling with my super hero series.  Um, yeah, right.

9. Back in  junior high I always like the short guys.

10. I was going to go out for a women's rugby team last year until I found out they were all in college.

11. I took me ten years to finish college.  Two years straight, then part time for the next eight.  Still, I did it.

12.  I have VERY dark days.

Hey, I did it!!

How about you?  You want to bare your soul in the name of the solstice?  Give me just one.  Dare ya.

8 comments:

  1. love this peek, megan! and, yep, still learned a new thing or two. Am tempted to make a list of my own, but not today... :) and you do have a beautiful singing voice.

    happy holidays my lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight! Thank you for baring your soul. I love musicals, as well. I resisted Glee for some reason but admit, I am now a real Gleek. Obsessed with the show!

    (I think every writer at some stage of their life thinks they will be / wants to be the next J.K Rowling.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gae, I didn't think it possible you didn't know everything about me yet. :)

    Dawn, I've asked for Glee Season 1 for Christmas. If I don't get it, it's time to hit netflix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zac Efron in 17 again with that leather jacket looks kind of hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY for soul baring! I'm glad you did this! That is very cool that you can sing--it makes sense that you have an ear with the video stuff you do. I'm pretty much tone deaf... I mean... not completely, but I always cared more about lyrics than voice or complicated music. And I used to get car sick too--still do if I try to read. I have to watch the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The only choir I could get into in college was the one that didn't require an audition. The director was a theology student so we did a lot of Ave Verum Corpus and the like, but it was still fun.
    2. My grandson sometimes puts his hands over my mouth when I start to sing, but when I babysat today I sang Pop goes the weasel about 50 times so he could pop out of a box on cue.
    3. I swing from wanting to be the next Karen Hesse or Laurie Halse Anderson to wanting to hide under the bed rather than have to promote the book I did write.
    4. I never learned to make a decent pie crust, so I just make cobblers.
    5. I can get lost going around the block.
    6. I didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was 16 and would not trust myself to ride one now.
    7. My first ambitions were to be a ballerina or trapeze artist. My mother got palpitations when she saw me wrapping my ankles around the chains on the swing set and swinging upside down. (age 8?)
    8. I had to count on my fingers to pass the CPA exam. (calculators not allowed)
    9. I don't like chocolate milk.
    10. My sister is the one who got carsick. I got more than one new set of clothes that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan,

    I love to sing, and I'm kinda good, too. So, after years of my kids urging me, I'm finally taking singing lessons AND singing with the synagogue choir.

    Just an idea: I have some deep-seated beliefs about the value of singing (throat chakra opened up). Maybe you could take some lessons or join a group. I have this sneaking suspicion it might help minimize those "dark days."

    Love ya, J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carole, love yours!!


    Jody, I'll have to look into it.

    Hart, thanks for the inspiration.

    Cari, *swoon*

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews