Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thought Provoking Thursday: Cancer

I read a blog the other day about what Elizabeth Edward's death and what it might mean to people.  At first I thought, why would it mean much to me?  But upon further reading, I realized what the blog author was saying.  Cancer death.  It speaks to people.  For those with cancer,  it may bring thoughts of their own personal battle with the disease.  They may reflect on their own life, their own mortality.

The good thing is, as the blog author states, there are no two cases alike.  And Elizabeth Edward's fate will not be every cancer patient's fate.  While it's inevitable some will pass, others will prevail, survive, and have long lives ahead of them.

For those of us who have lost a loved one to cancer, we think about all the others out there struggling with the disease.  I'm reminded of my mother-in-law and her last days and how I wish they would just find a damn cure so no one else has to suffer like that.

I also wonder what I'd do if I contracted the disease.  I know I would try to make the most of every single day I had left.  Here's another thought, we should be doing that already, because you never know where life will take you.  Maybe you will get cancer, maybe you'll get hit by a bus.  You're not guaranteed a long and healthy life.

This is why I wrote Never Eighteen (This blog is soooo not about my book, but it organically led me there, bear with me).  It's a reminder that you only get one shot at life, so take advantage of it.  I admit, I don't always do it.  There are days in which I brood, days that I feel sorry for myself.  Days I'm lonely, days I'm frustrated.  I need to start taking the advice of my own novel and just enjoy the time I have left here.

The other day I was in quite a dark state of mind.  A friend said, don't think about all the bad things in life, think about all the things you're thankful for and why.  Your mood will turn around. 

So, here's a challenge, join me if you will.  Whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself I will 1) Think about something I'm thankful for.  2) Do something, big or small, that if I died today, would leave me without regret not having done it (yes, that's not a well formed sentence, but in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, does it?)

Wow, this blog ended up way longer than I intended.  I digressed a bit, but it's all connected.

Thanks for reading.  Catch you on the flip side.

~Megan

8 comments:

  1. I'll join you, but I tend to do the opposite. When I start feeling sorry for myself, I just think of those who are much worse off than I. There are people who would love to have my "problems" even on my worst days. It's all about perspective - and sadly, it's all to easy to find people less fortunate than me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten better and better at doing this, but it's a constant challenge, and I appreciate the reminder whenever I get it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post considering that when you have dark thots and you dont pull yourself out of it, your thoughts can only get darker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, this is true, but thinking about those less fortunate could have the reverse affect and bring us down more. Maybe we should do something instead of just thinking about it, like donating. Just a thought.

    Jody, it IS a challenge, but a worthy one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good reminders, megan. I know I find, having been thru a scary incident, that I am feeling much more appreciative of the good I have and worrying less about the stuff I don't have. I'm lucky that my incident passed quickly and easily... but it's a reminder to not wait until there is a reason to say, "if only I had known."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great reminder. I am an optimist who rarely broods, but I DO have things i should probably take care of... things that if I was gone would make life for my family very difficult. This is actually a good reminder to makes some of THAT stuff easier to access.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews