|Photo by Alan Levine|
I sometimes let stress get the best of me. It doesn't help that I'm Scot, Italian, and an Aries. I find myself getting angry, depressed. I find myself on a journey of serious self destruction sometimes to the point where I can't get out of bed for a couple of days. I felt myself getting there again. I can usually feel it coming and I had to stop it before it got to that point. It's not a good place to be.
These are the things I'm trying to do to not go to that dark place again:
- Find my inner Zen. When I find myself getting angry, I'm going to take a couple of deep breaths before speaking or acting.
- Don't use the word "hate". I usually reserve the word for petty things, but I'm going to try to cut the word out of my vocabulary altogether.
- Continue exercising. I've been doing pretty good, I'm going to keep at it.
- Cut down on the vino. I'm a writer. And Italian. I drink.
- Write for myself every day. It's cheaper than therapy.
- Try not to spread myself too thin. I seriously do take on a lot in life. Between my writing, working, kids, and house (cleaning, yard, etc) sometimes that's enough.
- Get organized. My office is a mess. My house is a mess. my yard is a mess. Organization is not my strong suit, but I find myself losing important things, bills, and other stuff I'd rather have than not have.
- Read about inspiring people. My reading time is short. I admit this. I'm reading all my fellow 2k12ers books. So, this is twofold. One is to read MORE, the other is to read about people like Mother Theresa, Gandhi, Buddha, and Anne Frank.
I think that's about it. We'll see how those things work out. How do you beat stress?