Thursday, May 31, 2012

Shit Storm Averted

So yesterday I was a little stressed. I didn't mention why, but I guess I will now. I'm going to make a short story long to give you some back story.

So, Thing Two is very musically talented. She's been picking out stuff on the piano and guitar for eons, but she also wanted to take voice, so I put her in music lessons for guitar and voice.

Her music teacher had been working with her, then a couple months into her lessons she came home from practice one day and said, Vinny's band (her cousin, yeah, I know, "her cousin Vinny") needed a bass player and could I take her to buy a bass.

Me: you know how to play bass?
Her: Scott's (music teacher) teaching me. We have a gig in a month.

O.o

So we go to the pawn shop and buy a bass. One month later, Thing Two is playing her first gig. And she's good. She also sang a song in that first gig, and she's very shy, so I was very proud of her.

And she's come home since from lessons having played drums, and saying her teacher is going to teach her cello.

Again, O.o. I'm sure she can learn it because she's played the viola. Right? *cough*

So, anyway, to make a long story even longer, she had another gig last night, planned for at least a couple months.

In a parallel universe, okay, in mine, but it seems like a parallel one, I know at some point she has a choir concert coming up because she tried out for a solo and she got this singing part with two other girls that she was excited about. She loves choir, only class she's been getting an A in all year, yadda yadda yadda...

So day before rock gig, she tells me choir concert is the same night. O.o.

Okay, in theory if I was June Cleaver, I'd have known this. But I'm not JC, I'm JFC which stands for June Fucking Cleaver which is this day and ages June Cleaver which means I'm a kick ass mom that's too unorganized to be JC but is awesome in her own right. *cough*

I also forgot about that solo thingy.

And Thing Two is freaking out because said choir concert is a major part of her grade.

So I say screw it. I've paid for lessons, the band can't go on without her, the choir can. I write her teacher, explain that she's doing a music thing can she be lenient with the grade.

I get a call back immediately. And when I say immediately, I mean now.

Rachel is an integral part of the soprano section.

Choreography will need to be changed (really? choreography? I had no idea choreography would be involved).

Teacher is very disappointed.

Her grade would go from an A to a B-.

WHAT TIME IS IT? XANAX TIME! YAY TEAM!

Teacher is freaking out. Mom is freaking out. Thing Two is freaking out. Mom calls Dad and alerts him of the situation.

What time is the choir concert? What time is she supposed to go on at the gig? When during the concert is her solo thingy?  What is music lesson guy's phone number?

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to hand it to the guy. I dealt with teacher, went to the club to save seats for a bajillion people including him, grandparents, aunts, uncles, other family, friends, he contacted music teacher, took Thing Two to her concert, which we found out was from 6:30 to 7:00 (though teacher kept them ten minutes late >:( shame on her). Then her rushed her to Jazzbones for her gig. She got there in plenty of time.

Teacher was happy. Thing Two was happy. Mom was happy (once they'd finally shown up because Grandparent One and Two were driving her nuts about when is she going to get here? is she on her way? where is she? to the point where I almost had to tell my own parents to shut up, which I would never do *cough*)

And the shows went on.

Here's to dad for saving the day. Here's to my BF for keeping me off the ledge (and the drink called the white gummy bear).

Happy Thursday everyone. Rock on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews