Thursday, February 25, 2010

ABNA part 4: Friendship


This was the most important aspect of the contest for me. It was better than making the cut, better than the reviews, better than making the semi-finals.

I made some really great friends. Friends I consider lifelong. Some are local and I talk to them every once in awhile and we try to get together about once or twice a year. Others live all over the globe and I talk to them on facebook mostly. There are a handful that I became really close to. We talk by email nearly every day and I've even met a couple of them in person.

These friendships mean everything to me. I've never known any other writers, and it's nice to have someone to share your writing with, people you trust to critique your work. People to laugh with, commiserate with, to celebrate our successes and cry over our disappointments.

Of course, like with any friendship, we have our share of debates, fights, and drama, but I hope that these friendship can endure these tiny speed bumps, because like I said, they mean a lot and I would be lost without them.

(New York photos courtesy of Rick Kopstein)
Kisses

:*

Megan

5 comments:

  1. Megan, I totally agree. My favorite part of ABNA was meeting other writers.
    And I download their pictures on my harddrive. One of my favorites was with you and the girls at Gae's party last year. I wished I was there.
    Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I have a group of friends stemming from my Harry Potter years(several of them writers) that over the last few years I've met in person.--I travel for work, and in almost every place, there is a person or two.

    I happen to believe (at least for writers) the bond is closer if you interacti for a while in writing first. It's like you've always been friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I wish so many others could have joined us. I would love to have a big abna reunion one year when we take over a hotel and maybe throw in a conference or something.

    Hart,I agree. some of the people feel like I've known them my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :)

    Like with Megan's and Watery Tart's blog, I'm new to yours. I got all of your blog addresses from the ABNA forum and now feel like a creepy voyeur. But I want to follow your blog, stalker-ish as it may seem.

    I'm also new to ABNA, and feel like I missed a great time up there. Phooo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. I love our pictures. I'm all misty now. :) Without our friends, we're nothing. ABNA is one of the very best gifts of my entire life. It honestly changed my life. I met you guys. And you guys are forever.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews