Friday, May 20, 2011

F³A: Relationships

Those of you who have followed by blog for awhile know I've had my share of difficulties, mentally, physically, and emotionally (I'm not called the angsty writer for nothing).  Today marks a new chapter in my life for today my divorce will be final.

It's been a long strange trip for me.  We were married for seventeen years, had our ups and downs, but things happen along the way that you can't fix and you can't go back.  My husband and I have always marched to the beat of a different drummer.  We are a bit crazy, eccentric, weird, but fun.  Divorce is no different.  It was hard at first, but we realized we still loved each other (just not in the way we needed to, mostly on my end), and liked hanging out together.  It was very important to stay friends, for us, for our kids.  We bbq together, have gotten together for movie night, gone out to dinner.  We want each other to be happy.

We'll be divorcing together.  I'm picking him up, we're hitting Starbucks, the county/city building, then lunch (he said I have to buy).  And hopefully our friendship will remain intact.

Does it hurt?  Yeah.  Along the way I've had my doubts, but I know this is what I need right now.  My life has traveled down a different path the last few years making me a different person than I once was.  And I like that person.  Sometimes she's a bit mad, she may cry a little too much, and she gets lonely when her kids aren't around.  But she's more confident, stronger, braver, more adventurous.

So here's to closing this chapter in my life, and starting a new one.

Catch you on the flip side.

Megan

Oh yeah, Friday nibbles:

Random Pandora song (Thing Two has been pilfering my iPod as of late):  Different Names for the Same Thing by DCFC.  From my Death Cab For Cutie station

Movie of the Week:  I'm thinking Thor.  I really want to see it.

Book of the Week:  Popular by Alissa Grosso.  A take on popularity from five girls points of view.  Very interesting so far.

Quote of the week: "There are some things one can only achieve by a deliberate leap in the opposite direction." ~ Franz Kafka

6 comments:

  1. What a bitter sweet day Megan. I think it is so great that the two of you can be so civil about this. My parents got divorced when I was 18 and they can't hardly look at each other. Its really hard to be in the middle of that as a kid.

    Up and onto your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful person, Megan. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are a brave soul. I applaud your positive attitude. Stay strong and grounded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your divorce, but I admire your positive attitude, Megan,and your clarity about what's right for you. My ex and I went to court together nearly nine years ago. After that, she gave me a silver quarter with my birth year on it for good luck (I had lost one before.) I paid her parking ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment Garrett. I think it's rare for a couple to go through it together, friendly, but I'm glad we're able to.

    There will be a follow up on June 3rd.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews