Monday, September 28, 2009

Top Four Worst Things About Having Kids in Middle School #4 Homework


Both my girls are in middle school now. One in eighth grade, one in sixth. And while my kids are good kids, when they reach grade six, they are exposed to so much more than they were in elementary school.

I am just happy to have open communication with them. I think that is imperative when kids reach this age.

Of course, my # 4 isn't anything deep or serious. It's homework. More, my inability to help with homework at this level. My oldest daughter is in algebra, highly capable. Um, let's see, I haven't taken algebra since 1982, and I certainly wasn't in any highly capable math class. So, she's on her own. Luckily she's around to help daughter #2 with her homework.

Then there's Spanish, Social Studies, Science, and all sorts of other classes I was never good at.

Thank god for Language Arts (that's what they call English these days). That I can help with and not feel like a complete dunderhead.

So, there it is. #4, Homework, the other three are way worse.

3 comments:

  1. What I hated most about homework was trying to get my kids to just do it. Between that, getting dinner on and rushing to soccer, piano, etc. I hated the hours of 3-7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I remember about homework as a child is those days in early fall and late spring when I put it off until after supper, and then had to sit in my room doing homework, listening to the neighborhood kids playing outside. What I remember about homework with my son is that he never seemed to have any. Right. He claimed he got it all done at school. His grades weren't terrible, either. At least not until high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My older daughter is good about homework. The younger one, is my procrastinator and little white liar. ;)

    But, I make them do their homework right when they get home from school so we can move on with soccer practices or family time and not have to worry about it later.

    I just can't help them with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews