Saturday, December 4, 2010

Friend or Foe Friday (er, Satruday this week I guess)

So, yes, once again I missed my blog day, but I've been busy, and here I am making it up and stuff.  So on Friday's I've decided to blog about someone who has either inspired me or pissed me off to the point that they end up in my blog.

Today is inspiration and that inspiration is my friend Gae.  If you read my blog, you are well acquainted with her already.  But every day this woman does things that amaze me.

I met her in the 2007 ABNA (Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award) contest, and we became fast friends.  We're like sisters now.  Sadly, we live clear across the country from each other, but hey, in the technology age that hardly matters, right?

Gae was the first of my writer friends to land a book deal, and rightly so.  The time and dedication she puts into her writing astounds.  This on top of a job, two boys, a husband, etc, etc.  And her writing is amazing.

But on top of all that, she is also a champion for the unpublished writer.  She is constantly reading and editing manuscripts and query letters helping those still on the journey perfect them.  She did this with Never Eighteen, and I know she helped make it a thousand times the book it was.  I try to emulate her in this by helping people with their writing as well, but it's hard and it's time consuming (I do help a bit).  So I admire her for doing this for others.

She's faced adversity, had her ups and downs, but she always comes out of it, brushes it off, and begins again.  Plus, she's charming, brilliant, hilarious, and beautiful.

She is what writers, mothers, wives, and women should aspire to.

Her novel, The Pull of Gravity comes out next May from FSG, Frances Foster books.  You should buy it.

Thanks for reading.

Megan

8 comments:

  1. Here, here. We all love Gae. She is absolutely awesome, sexy, and fun. Somewhat like you Megan. I met both of you at ABNA, and have been honored to have you both on my friends list every since. xoxox
    max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a great tribute. I'll buy the book :-). Lucky you found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY Gae!!!!

    *snorts at Mike* Nice.
    It's great to have friends like that who deeply and truly inspire us, and especially nice to be just barely trailing in process so you can celebrate the successes together. I know you'll both go far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Gae's book, The Pull of Gravity, right now and I'm loving it. Plus, I just read a great laugh out loud scene :) I'm excited to review it and tell my students all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments everyone. Gae is a truly talented individual and a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to comment the other day and it wouldn't let me. >:( Let's see if I can today.

    First of all, thank you.

    Second of all, omg, omg! How exciting is it to see Sarah there saying she's reading it and just read a laugh out loud scene!! Which scene Sarah!?! (I'll have to go find her and ask her).

    Third of all, Megan, I'm so proud of you. I've watched you dig down this last year and really work on your craft despite some really difficult things. I've seen you take more heaped on criticism from friends and foes (nice, right?) than I could ever handle (whether worthy and legitimate or not...) and bounce back in a way i'm not sure I could. It's a mutual admiration society, and I'm so glad our writing lives brought us together. My life wouldnt be as silly or wonderful without you.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews