Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Writing Wednesday: What Gets You In

I haven't touched this in ages, but I thought I'd post a bit.  Needs A LOT of work.  lol.  Maybe I'll edit it some day.  It's adult fiction about the afterlife. (and don't talk about my cliche characters, this is one of the first things I wrote :)


     “You know you’re going to hell, don’t you?” Jean asked of Julia just after Jesus had departed.
     “Leave me alone,” Julia said, sliding down the wall to the white, glossy floor.
     “Is that true?” Ashley, the young girl clad in black drew in closer to Jean.
     “Well of course my child.  Suicide is murder.”  Jean felt it would be apropos to quote the bible yet again, “Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God and you are not your own.  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. 1 Corinthians 6:19 and 20.” Jean smiled, pleased with herself.  “Don’t you think that since your body is a temple and that temple belongs to God, that only he should decide when that temple should be destroyed?”
     “I don’t know,” Ashley answered.
     “There’s nothing to know.  Suicide is a sin and is punishable by banishment into the fires of hell.”
     Ashley began to sob, “What if you had good reasons?  Wouldn’t God understand?”
     “I don’t know.  Let’s hash it out, shall we.  If you had created something beautiful that you loved dearly and someone came and smashed it to bits, would you understand?”
     Ashley cried even harder, tears now streaking down her ashen face.  The small Asian man, Aiden, ran to her side and yelled at Jean, “Stop it!  Can’t you see you’re upsetting her?”
     “Two peas in a pod, the suicide and the homosexual.”
     “I’m not gay!”
     “You’re not, huh?  How did you get here?” Jean interrogated.
     “What are you talking about?” Aiden asked irritated.
     “How did you die?” she answered slowly making sure to pronounce every word clearly and with purpose.
     Aiden let out a great sigh and said, “AIDS.”
     “Hmph!  I knew it,” Jean declared proudly.
     “You don’t know anything, lady.  Are you really that ignorant?” Aiden replied.
     “I speak the truth.  Isn’t that right father?” She now addressed a priest who until now sat quiet and contemplative.”
     “It’s not for me to say,” Father Phil answered softly.
     “Not for you to say?” Jean said sardonically.  “You’re a man of the cloth!  If anyone has the right to say, it’s you.”
     “Jesus Christ, do you ever shut up?” The gangbanger howled from across the room.
      Jean looked over to him, startled, just as Jesus reentered the room.  “Did someone call for me? And was I told to shut up?”



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews