Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tooting the Horn Tuesday: Interview with Amy Holder

Today I'm posting an interview I did with, Amy Holder, the author of, The Lipstick Laws.  This is her debut novel, slated for release April 4, 2011.  Want to know what it's about . . .

At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life as easily as snapping her perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her. 
For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. With zero friends and nothing close to a boyfriend, April is so unpopular, kids don't know she exists. That is, until Britney notices her. One lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity. 
But Britney's friendship comes with a price tag. How much is April willing to pay?


1.Tell me about The Lipstick Laws? Personal experience, or pure fiction?
The Lipstick Laws is 99% pure fiction, but there are some influences from personal experience. I definitely shared some of the same feelings about wanting to be accepted as the main character (April) when I was a teen.  And the whole story is actually set in a fictional town around the very real town that I grew up in.  The mall in the book was a stomping ground for me and my friends when we were in high school.
 
2.Were you a bra stuffer back in high school like your main character, April?  Or did you harbor some other humiliating secrets?  Are you willing to share?
 
Hmmm...If I had been, I'm not sure I'd admit it.  Honestly, though, I was never a bra stuffer, but I’ve been known to wear a push-up bra or two (not at the same time). 
 
And do you really think I'll admit to any other humiliating secrets publicly like this?  Are you crazy?  Don't worry, I have plenty of them... but they're for me to know and you to imagine.
 
3.Did you know people as awful as Britney when you were a teenager?  If so, how did you handle them?
Thankfully I didn't know anyone quite as bad as Britney as a teenager.  However, I wasn't completely immune to the oh-so typical cattiness of high school girl drama.  How did I handle it? I made sure my nails were extra sharp for the catfights.  I'm talking razor blade sharp fingerclaws.  Okay, I wasn't ever in any real catfights...but it sounds so much more interesting than saying I tried to ignore it, doesn't it?
 
4.Do you have one favorite line from your novel?
I have a couple of favorite lines for different reasons, but one of my favorites is at the end when April says: "Smiling to myself, I realize that it's definitely better to be wanted than to be the one wanting." 
 
I like this line because I think it shows character growth and strength that she didn’t have in the beginning of the book. I can’t explain why without giving away spoilers…so I’ll just leave it at that.  
 
5.Where is your favorite writing spot?
My favorite writing spot is at my desk in my office because I love my comfy chair and widescreen computer! The only problem is that it's attached to the internet...and I have a TV tuner... so it's very easy to get distracted.  Now I understand why some writers choose to write longhand in quaint cottages in the middle of nowhere.
 
6.If you could choose one writer whose brain you could pick over, dead or alive, who would it be?
J.K Rowling!  I'm a huge Harry Potter geek and would love to pick over J.K Rowling's brilliant imagination!  Although I'm not sure if I'd trust myself with that privilege...because I might be tempted to run away with her brain.
 
7.What is your favorite thing to do outside of writing?
I've always loved art, so in my spare time I enjoy doing anything creative and artistic. Creative energy makes me feel happy and peaceful.  It's so much better than math energy, in my opinion. 
 
8.Is there a word you always misspell?  And what is it?
Art u nutz? I nefer mispit wordes. 

Truthfully, I'm a spell check addict!  I wish I had a spell check switch in my brain. One word that I always used to misspell when I was little was beautiful.  I always forgot the A in it... and I'm pretty sure it drove my elementary teachers crazy.  When my fourth grade teacher saw me years later as an older teen, she joked with me about it and asked me to spell beautiful for her.  And I'm proud to say that I spelled it beautifully!  Oh, and I even added a snippet about this particular misspelling inside joke in The Lipstick Laws. 
 
9.What are you currently reading?
I just finished an ARC of The Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski, a fabulous Class of 2k11 classmate of mine.  It's deliciously sweet!
 
10.Who is your celebrity crush?
If the cards are in my favor (fingers, toes, hair, eyes and elbows crossed), I hope to marry Henry Cavill from The Tudors.  Unfortunately I'll probably have to live in reality and just be satisfied with drooling over him on TV.  Henry, if you're reading this, call me. *wink, wink*
11. What are you working on now? 
I’m currently working on a couple projects for various age groups, but the one closest to completion is a contemporary YA manuscript with a paranormal twist.  I’m hoping it will be my next book to hit the bookshelves…but a Lipstick Laws sequel may also be an option.
Read my review of The Lipstick Laws by clicking here.

About Amy:
Amy Holder is a writer, artist, and animal lover.  Her educational background is in Psychology, but her heart remains loyal to her love of writing and the creative arts.  She has worked in the early education, social service, and freelance writing and design fields prior to being published.  Other than writing, some of her interests include art, animals, reading, shopping, photography, pop culture, theater, nature, and spending time with family and friends.  Originally from Upstate New York, Amy currently resides in the Philadelphia area with her many adopted pets.

7 comments:

  1. Great interview! I always have to double check envelope and envelop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine are desperate and separate, among a few others. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally fun interview. laughed out loud at the brastuffing answer ... glad not two at a time. ;)

    and I misspell desperate and separate too, or at least have to pause. Also occasion and, ironically, misspell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gae, I used to misspell "misspell" too. ;)

    I still have to check myself on "fluorescent."

    You are both awesome. Nuff said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely interview - always fun to get to know the author better. And Henry - yummy yes on that one! :-) Did you hear he as going to play Superman?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and I can't wait to read this book! A sequel perhaps too? Hmmm. ;)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews