Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday morning blahg: And the award goes to . . .

As much as I love James Franco and Anne Hathaway, I did not like their performances as Oscar co-hosts.  I'd go as far as to say they sucked.  They weren't funny or witty.  The best thing they did was the pre-scripted video at the beginning of the show.  We need to go back to having comedians do it.  Comedians are funny.  They can ad lib. 

I can't say I'm disappointed with the winners as the only movie I've seen from the way too long list of contenders was The Social Network, which I loved.  I would like to see all the ones nominated.  They look (and I've heard) they're excellent.

Funny how we have all these awards shows, the Oscars, Grammys, Emmys, and then of course, there are the Country Music Awards, the Mtv Awards, the Golden Globes, etc, etc. but none for the most educational art of all, writing.  Yes, I know the screen writers and song writers are included in all of the above, but what about an awards show for book writing?  Don't we deserve that kind of recognition?

What would they call it?  The (Pen)ny?  The inventor of the typewriter's name is too boring.  The Sholes.  Meh.  It could be named the Remmy, after Remington, the gun maker that manufactured the first typewriter.  Or how about the Qwerty?

I could picture the likes of Stephen King to Stephenie Meyer handing out awards.  I can imagine myself accepting the award for YA Debut Novelist of the Year (I really don't think that highly of myself, but it's my imagination so I get to win).

What would the award look like?  A golden pen or pencil?  Maybe it should be in the form of Gilgamesh, since the author of The Epic of Gilgamesh, Shin-eqi-unninni, is said to be the first named literary author.  We could have it in the form of Shin-eqi-unninni, but people probably don't know what he looked like.  Maybe the model should be Enheduanna, Priestess of Inanna, the first known female writer and poet.



Doesn't Twain look good as a gold statue?
Maybe in the form of a more contemporary writer like Twain or Bradbury or Hemingway?  Or even a poet?  Dickinson, Keats, or Shelly?  Or how about Oscar Wilde or Poe?  What do you think?  Should we as writers demand our award show?  Or should we be thankful to remain happy in our anonymity?

Speaking of awards, I'm getting closer and closer to 200 followers, so I thought I'd do a giveaway.  I don't know what I'm giving away yet.  I'll have to think about it.  But my 200th follower is getting a prize, and if anyone referred them, they'll get something too.  :)

Thanks all.  Have a wonderful Monday. ugh.

~Megan

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I saw The King's Speech about a month ago. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that about it. I'm going to see Black Swan this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost never see movies until they come on video, so have seen NONE. I really want to see Black Swan, but any others I see may be a fluke.

    As for the writing awards... GREAT idea... I mean there are some, but an awards SHOW for them... I think it should be a Dickens and we can shorten the name for the statue to a Dick. This fits in beautifully with my Delusional Doom Obituary: Hart won three Dicks... I like the ring of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!!! And the Dick goes to . . .

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews