Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday: Living in Shadows

I know you've all HAD to feel that way at one time or another.  That you're living in someone else's shadow?  I think as a writer, a sibling, and friend, a co worker, whatever our circles and relationships, we can't help these feelings sometimes.  We feel unworthy or inferior to those around us.

Point?  I guess I've been feeling a little like this.  And it's not fun.  Luckily, I have people around me that remind me that I've got some good stuff going on.  That we can't live under the shadow of someone else because their paths, though they may be similar, are unique.

And then of course there's Walt Whitman.  His quote, "Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you," really struck a chord with me yesterday.  And it's true.  I think I may be a natural pessimist.  I need to look toward the sun more often.  After all, I am solar powered.

Sorry, just some random musings from my warped mind. :)

A couple more things.  Mrs. Andersen at the Y.A. Love book blog featured for her Book Trailer Thursday, the trailer I made for Carole Estby Dagg's novel, The Year We Were Famous.

Also, I want to wish good luck to all those entered in ABNA.  Just remember, if you don't make it past this phase, it's not over.  Here is a list to prove it.  It's all the novels that have been entered in ABNA that have been or are going to published since.  It grows all the time.  So don't lose faith.

And never walk in someone else's shadow.  Cast your own. :)


~Megan

8 comments:

  1. Hi Megan - Sending you some sunshine!! You're a published author! Other people probably feel like they're walking in your shadow!!

    No shadows in the snow! Go celebrate all your many good things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh.

    and double sigh.

    shadows and sunshine. Yes, this is exactly right. The warmth of the sunshine feels so good. But, ah, it is so fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shade=Good

    Shadow=Bad

    strange, isn't it? So many thin lines and silvers linings out there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, guys. I could use a few rays of sunshine over here, until then, I'll try to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Whitman quote. I think it's difficult, but personally I have to consciously work at not comparing myself to others who seem to be walking the same path--whether it's being a writer, or a mom, or a teacher.

    and shadows can be deceptive...a huge shadow can be cast by a tiny object. so much depends on the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment Elissa. I couldn't agree more. With all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Megan-you aren't in ANYONE'S shadow! You're a superstar! Love that quote though. I don't think I'm easy to shadow--just sort of out there... I'm often though, off in some completely different place, so i get missed that way. (the only child lost in her own little world)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Hart. And I don't think you are easy to shadow. You are strong, smart, talented and beautiful. I think we all need to be told things like that every once in a while to keep ourselves out of the shadows. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews