Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday: Author blurbs

Praise quotes, celebrity endorsements, whatever you want to call them.  In a recent study, it was found that these things are the LAST reason kids will buy a book.  So why are they so important to us as writers? 

I don't have any yet.  I'm okay with that.  My  novel is a long way out and  I've only sent it to one (very busy) writer thus far, and two others have offered to read it, and I just sent a request to another.  This study *points upward* tells me it's no big deal.  To readers.  But to us, the writer (at least to me), it's like acceptance.  It's like being a freshman and getting taken under the wing of the popular seniors and them in turn telling everyone how cool you are.

The writers I've asked to read my novel have all inspired me in one way or another.  I've read their books and in some ways want to emulate them, whether it be solely for their talent, but also because they are so approachable, they make themselves available.  They've taken the time to answer my questions and talk to me and offer me guidance.  That's the kind of writer I want to be.  And that's why I respect them so much.  That's why I've chosen them to endorse me.

If they don't, I think I'll live.  But how good would it feel to have one of your favorite writers tell the world how good you are?  I hope I get to find out.

4 comments:

  1. I was VERY excited to get a great blurb from NY Times bestseller, AJ Jacobs - but turns out, not many people know who he is

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to have great blurbs for your book, Megan. ;) No doubt! I can't wait to get some, too. Hey, we know a nearly published sure-to-be-best-selling-author. Maybe if we buy her something shiny, she'll blurb something for us? In fact, we're going to know lots of those. :))

    Maybe we can blurb for each other someday. And get our 'other' blog going, full of our books and our takes on life. And we can solicit blurbs there??

    :) sigh. We can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you end up with fabulous blurbs, and I agree--mean so much more from people who've really helped you out and who you admire. Though to get a coup like Harry did with that Stephen King blurb would be pretty darned sweet, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I for one think blurbs are pretty cool, but I'm going to just suck it up if I don't get any and move on. I know there are people who want to read my book, and that's what's important, right?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews