Thursday, April 22, 2010

Owning Me


Since I've been actively seeking publication, I thought it would be good to get a domain name. I went and looked up meganbostic.com to find...someone owns my name already.

How can there be another Megan Bostic in the world in need of a website? Seriously?

You google that name, who do you see? Me (well mostly with a handful of students, athletes, and whatnots).

So I write Godaddy, and they give me the owner's info. It's a guy, his last name is Bostic. They sent me his email address, so I write. That was a week ago.

So today I decide to write Godaddy and ask when that web address might retire. Their answer 2018. Eight years from now. And my plan is to be published before then, so what's a girl to do.

This has caused quite a lengthy status update on my Facebook page, both by those trying to help, and by those making jokes at my expense (which I love of course).

So, I will probably write the guy snail mail, but if I cannot get my name back, what do you suggest? If I use my middle initial, which is "A", I will write under that. Or even maybe something like, M.A. Bostic, then I could go with mabostic.com. Or writermeganbostic, or authormeganbostic.

Advice: If you are planning on becoming anything that might be slightly famous, you may want to purchase your domain name now, otherwise, when you go to do so, someone may already own you. sigh.

8 comments:

  1. I checked. www.meganbostic.yolasite.com is not being used. So there you go.

    I use yola.com for my free website. Check my website. It works fine. The only limits at yola are my own lack of tech skills, but you seem to master technology just fine.

    And when people put Walter Knight into their computer search engine, my website comes up just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually in search of a not free website. I'm just going to have to make a decision and stick with it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. try having a totally common name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I suppose you're right James. But I guess that's why I always assumed my name would be available. sigh.

    What will YOU use? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I don't have another out there using MY name! lol.. Off to google myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being the only Steffan Piper makes things a lot easier for me. That guy probably bought the website for his infant daughter and has ridiculous dreams about her needing an internet presence in the future.

    Coming up with something acceptable to you that's a derivative of:

    Megan
    Messina
    Bostic
    Books
    Writes

    should be the goal at hand for the time being, or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, sugar, if your real name is sugar, you may not have to worry about it.

    Steffan, yes, the plan is to probably use writer or author with my name. I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about www.iammeganbostic.com?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews