Monday, April 19, 2010

Road Trip

I've talked about friendships quite a bit on my blog here. I think it's because friendships are strange to me. I do not like people as a general rule :), but I do have friendships and they're important to me for a variety reasons. You have your different circle of friendships. Mine can pretty much be divided in two: high school friends and writing friends. When I talk about my high school friends it not only means those I went to high school with, but those I met during high school through work, friends whatever.

And you do different thing with those different friends. There are those you go to coffee or lunch with. Those you go out to drinks with. Those you invite to dinner. Those you watch sports with. You keep the talk light with some, you go deeper with those you trust with your secrets.

And it's actually the same with my writing friends. I have those I talk to just about every day, those I'm in a writing group with. There are those who you trust to read your work, and those whose work you will read.

And of course you have those friends you know you'll occasionally butt heads with. Those you will never fight with. Those who make you happy, those who make you crazy. Those who will be honest with you no matter how much it might hurt.

The dynamics are complex.

So anyway, I went on a road trip this last weekend with my best friends from high school. Excluding an occasional dinner, I really haven't spent any major (or minor) time with these ladies since about 1989. And this is what is so great about friendships like these, it was like no time had passed between us at all. Not an awkward moment lingered. We chatted, laughed, as if we hung out all the time. And I loved it. And although these two women and I have gone down three very different paths, I still love them and always will.

Sometimes you can go back. :)

"Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose." ~ Tennessee Williams

10 comments:

  1. I think the perfect friendships are like magical gardens that you can leave untended for quite sometime, for whatever reason, and come back to without having to pull a single weed. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of those, as I tend to have a history of dysfunctional friendships. Usually dysfunctional because I make them with people who take my need for distance personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear that. I often wonder if my friends think I'm some kind of freak or hermit. I'm not the visiting phone call type. I do like interaction, but on a limited level. It's just me, don't really know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's an introverted thing. I find that while I do enjoy social interaction on some level, it takes a lot out of me. Extroverts, on the other hand, thrive off of it. I had a phase back when my husband I were going through a trial separation a few years ago when I was out partying nearly every night, and I had turned into a major social butterfly. Two years of that really burned me out. These days, I prefer the quiet. And the time to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool post, Megan. I'm so glad you had a great time with your high school buddies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to know you CAN go home again. You're lucky to have such great ties to what can be such a difficult time in life (or is that just me??) Road trip sounds like a potential book in of itself--at least a short slice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks B an Jenny (and no Jenny, it's not just you).

    Love me a good road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Williams quote.

    I love my friends, even the ones who have walked out of my life...I have learned something from them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting Terresa. I think life is a never ending learning process, much like writing. Some lessons will be fulfilling, while others painful.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews