Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Keeping the The Desert Island Theme...

...I've decided to do this the next couple days.  Yesterday was cd's Today I'm going to do books.  I'll throw out ten of my favorite books I'd like to have with me if I'm ever stranded on a desert island.  Now, I'm not including things like, Desert Islands for Dummies, or a survival handbook.  Those are gimmes.  I'm including the books I'd want to read over and over.
Again, these are in no particular order.

The Stand by Stephen King   He weaves so many characters together expertly, each one distinct, the voices perfect.  The classic good vs. evil story.

A River Runs Through It by Normal MacLean If you've never read this book you should.  It's an autobiographical story about relationship, the human spirit, and fly fishing. The imagery is beautiful and truly captures the majesty of nature.  Even if you don't fish (which I don't) this is a must read.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood One of my all time favorite books. A dystopian novel where the rights of women are stripped right along with their families and their names, and their will tested.  Disturbing, yet in the end, hope is restored.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee This is my all time favorite book, the characters, the story, the voices.  I love how it's told from Scout's point of view and her innocent vision of people and society.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner from Azkaban by JK Rowling My favorite Potter book ( It was a toss up between this and Goblet of Fire).  And I just had to have one Potter book with me if I couldn't take all seven.

The Green Mile by Stephen King One of my other favorite Stephen King, books, by probably the writer that's my favorite.  Haunting and terrible at times, it really evokes emotion.

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein Need a little lighthearted poetry to get through the rest of  your life.  Love me some Shel Silverstein.

Timeline by Michael Chrichton My favorite Michael Chrichton book.  It's exciting, educational, and entertaining.  Don't just this book by his others or by the movie (which I wouldn't go as far as say sucked, but it definitely strayed FAR away from the book)

Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice  Have to have at least one good vampire novel with me.  I said a GOOD one. ;)


Mending Fences by Megan Bostic  Because it's mine and because I can, that is as long as I don't get deserted until Fall of 2011.

Tell me what some of your desert island books would be.

Ciao,

Megan

12 comments:

  1. I've never been one to read a novel over and over - in fact, I've only successfully re-read a handful of novels ever -- the two that come to mind, The Color of Light by William Goldman, and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle, which I re-read aloud to my kids.

    I find that when I go back and reread novels they don't hold that same first elation they did... whatever was resonating at that time, has shifted and makes it a different read...

    so, I'm thinking I'd bring a volume of poems, likely by e.e.cummings; and something really raunchy that could "entertain" me in the wee sandy hours of the morning. But, if I had to bring a novel, it might just be The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. The story and illustrations are just beautiful. But, of course, that book is on my mind this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gae. Honestly, I am not one to reread novels, but I suppose if I were on a desert isle I'd have to. I also thought about poetry, but would want some sort of collection of all my favorites, which may not be an easy task. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care how heavy it is, I'm bringing Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" just for the pleasure of using it to start my signal fire.

    Unlike Gae, I reread books all the time, much in the same way I'll watch reruns of Seinfeld, etc. - the first time through, I usually just catch the broad stuff, but after the 3rd or 4th go round, I really start to notice the craft that went into it

    Except for the aforementioned Mr. Brown. The only craft he possesses is private jet he tools around in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool idea, Megan! I reread novels all the time. They're like friends to me. When people ask "how do you do that?" I ask them "how many times have you seen your favorite movie?"

    My top ten would definitely include Stephen King and J.K. Rowling too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My list might shift from time to time, I mean, there are so many more books to read, some I've probably forgotten that I loved.

    But I would actually loved to be stranded for a bit to have the time to read for pleasure again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I want to say I love LOVE your music list. One of the first that I can totally relate to from a woman over 30. They're usually either too classic rock for my taste (I like classic rock, but well, you know...) or too esoteric for me to remember when compiling lists!

    About books -- wish I re-read the good ones. I'm always too greedy to go back, always want to devour more!

    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran-Foer is fantastic. Old John Irving. A.S. Byatt's Possession, Thomas Hardy, and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as books go I'd have to have the Bible since you can read and reread and always find new things, the Complete Works of Shakespeare, a good comprehensive road Atlas of the United States and Canada for daydream trips -- then after that I'd have to think some, but I'd want books with substance to make me think.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stranded on an island with a book? Hmmm, I think I would want:

    "Boat Building In Your Own Backyard" by S.S. Rabl.

    I have to get off this island!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which reminds me, several times I've watched the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks. Doing your own dental work with an ice skate is the ultimate tough guy scene. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to put the ones I HAVEN'T read on my list, as the ones I HAVE are all books I love, too. The STAND is a favorite--possibly my favorite of King's books and I have several I really love, and Prisoner of Azkaban is when I feel truly, deeply and irreversably in love with the Harry Potter series--oh, they were CUTE before that, but that book was AMAZING (though I'm awfully fond of Harry's angst in Order of the Phoenix).

    Like Gae, I don't tend to read over and over (with the single exception of the Potter series) but you've got some great ones here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews