Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Keeping the The Desert Island Theme...

...I've decided to do this the next couple days.  Yesterday was cd's Today I'm going to do books.  I'll throw out ten of my favorite books I'd like to have with me if I'm ever stranded on a desert island.  Now, I'm not including things like, Desert Islands for Dummies, or a survival handbook.  Those are gimmes.  I'm including the books I'd want to read over and over.
Again, these are in no particular order.

The Stand by Stephen King   He weaves so many characters together expertly, each one distinct, the voices perfect.  The classic good vs. evil story.

A River Runs Through It by Normal MacLean If you've never read this book you should.  It's an autobiographical story about relationship, the human spirit, and fly fishing. The imagery is beautiful and truly captures the majesty of nature.  Even if you don't fish (which I don't) this is a must read.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood One of my all time favorite books. A dystopian novel where the rights of women are stripped right along with their families and their names, and their will tested.  Disturbing, yet in the end, hope is restored.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee This is my all time favorite book, the characters, the story, the voices.  I love how it's told from Scout's point of view and her innocent vision of people and society.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner from Azkaban by JK Rowling My favorite Potter book ( It was a toss up between this and Goblet of Fire).  And I just had to have one Potter book with me if I couldn't take all seven.

The Green Mile by Stephen King One of my other favorite Stephen King, books, by probably the writer that's my favorite.  Haunting and terrible at times, it really evokes emotion.

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein Need a little lighthearted poetry to get through the rest of  your life.  Love me some Shel Silverstein.

Timeline by Michael Chrichton My favorite Michael Chrichton book.  It's exciting, educational, and entertaining.  Don't just this book by his others or by the movie (which I wouldn't go as far as say sucked, but it definitely strayed FAR away from the book)

Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice  Have to have at least one good vampire novel with me.  I said a GOOD one. ;)


Mending Fences by Megan Bostic  Because it's mine and because I can, that is as long as I don't get deserted until Fall of 2011.

Tell me what some of your desert island books would be.

Ciao,

Megan
Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews