Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Paying it Forward 3.0

A few years back, (which when you're in your 40's means about 10, sigh) the husband's cousin and his wife, along with their young daughter decided to move here from California to be closer to family and get a fresh start.  They lived with my SIL for awhile, and when he found a job, they moved out on their own.

Money was still tight, so we decided to buy a houseful of groceries for them.  When my mom found out what we were doing, she also pitched in.

We tried to get the most for our buck finding things on sale, and staples that would last awhile, like rice, but we also bought a variety of stuff, different kinds of meats, pasta and sauce, coffee, cereal, dairy, bread, and things like cleaning products and other household goods.

We just wanted to help them get on their feet, let them not worry about something, like groceries for a couple of weeks.

Though I know it helps out in a small way, it's also selfish.  I LOVE to give.  It makes me feel great. I just wish I had more means in which to do it. 

Don't forget to visit B. Miller's blog for her Pay it Forward contest.  Become a fan.

When was the last time you helped out someone out?  What did you do for them?

Ciao,

Megan

4 comments:

  1. Your stories are great, Megan. You are truly a giver. While I have some I can share, my favourite comes courtesy of a little lesson Deb gave me.

    In the big city of TO, you get a lot of panhandlers. There was a bit of an uproar several years ago when squeegee kids arrived on the scene -- that they were drug addicts and should clean up and get jobs, the usual.

    Deb's mantra was/is: "No one decides they want to be a street person when they grow up. Shit happens. Who am I to be the boss of how they use my spare change?"

    This left a deep impression and from then on, we always made sure to give street-people money. It can add up, yes. But they were once kids with dreams -- and this wasn't one of them.

    xo Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara, that's a good thing to keep in mind.

    I think we also have to remember that many of the people on the street have psychological problems, I for one am not about to judge.

    I've also given my change to people on the street, and hope they buy food with it, but if they don't, at least I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your giving stories. They make me realize I need to do more of it. I'm a believer in karma - sounds like some of the good stuff will be heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in Karma too Dawn, and I hope you're right. I just live my life the way I think it should be lived. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews